Monday, June 16, 2008
Extreme makeover - basement
No, I just did not pull the blog. No, I did not forget to pay for the internet. So, where have we been. Well, as you may recall from a previous entry, we received a lot of rain recently. On Thursday, June 12, we received even more rain. Far more rain than we had received several days ago. So much rain, that our backyard, along with a number of other lots, turned into a lake. So much water, that it flowed into the outside entrance of our basement and into the basement. I know this because we were hunkered down there watching videos because tornado warning sirens were going off outside. Either Cheryl or I would periodically check upstairs, we saw a lake growing in our yard, but we never anticipated this. Suddenly, water started coming under the door (the door is in poor condition and the outside is sealed with plywood). We got the kids out (Emma had to be carried, she was busy watching "Animanics" and could not be bothered over a basement flooding), and I put up some boxes up higher. About 45 minutes later, I was able to sandbag the entrance which I believe stopped further water from coming in. All told, we had about 6 inches of water in our basement. The water, for the most part, was gone by 4 am Friday morning. We were able to secure a large dumpster on Friday and spent part of Friday and most of Saturday throwing stuff away (yes, some stuff could be saved, but this is a chance to get rid of stuff we could just never part with). We have saved most of our old film pictures. They are drying out. The basement still has some ways to go yet, but its getting cleaned up. Maybe I'll post a pic or two of the dumpster (oh boy).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment