We had a big day today. We went to a Teng Wan pavilion that was built over 1400 years ago. It has been built over 26 times. It was destroyed in 1950 and then rebuilt in 1989. Ping Ju climbed 89 steps to the top and then took an elevator. At every level there was different artwork and two souvenior stands. It was pretty. It was built by the 23 prince of the first emporer of the Tung dynasty. He was mad at his son for being a poor leader, but a lover of the arts. He sent him to the outer most China (Jianxi province) at the time and sent him a monthly allowance. He built a beatiful tower and supported the arts. He painted a hundred butterflies and 100 flowers. It was very interesting.
We had a 30 minute show demonstrating dancing and music from the period. Ping Ju was a trooper He walked up and down the 89 steps with no problems.
Then we went to a restaurant for dim sum lunch. Highlights were dumplings in mushroom sauce, noodles, chicken, pork, mystery meat in sauce. We eat so many things that we dont have at home. The food is very good, just different.
The memorable things from today include looking out the pavillion at the old and new nanchung over the river. There were water buffalo and traditional boats in between. I really liked the paintings on the ceiling. I would like to use the pattern to make a quilt.
After the tour, I went to Walmart by myself. I grasped my chinese for walmart and the hotel and a card that said please take me. The superwalmart was 2 stories. The second story looked like the Berlin Walmart. The other story had food. Hung dried duck, hung dried suckling pig, hung dry duck. There were large tanks filled with fish, eel, and different kinds of seafood. (still alive) There was also a freezer full fresh meat on ice. pig hocks, pig ear, pig tail, pig kidney and then other mystery meat. I bought some cookies, batteries, candy and coke at Walmart.
We had a pizza party in the hotel playroom with the other families. We got Ping Ju visa application, I think. We also saw an accident, went to a bakery, and went to a kitchen supply store.
Cheryl

2 comments:
Hello Cheryl, Doug and "the boy"-
While sitting by the poolside here in sunny Florida and reflecting on your incredible journey, I must say that I am quite impressed, dare I say jealous. Impressed, not because I did not think you could accomplish the task, but rather that you are, with such ease and joy, and yet slightly jealous because of a desire we both share for the adventure. It is an amazing start to a blessed endevour. As the Chinese sage Lao-tze has said, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a first step", so now starts yours. Do not hesitate to ask my Father for ANY need which may arise along the way.
Godspeed- Jason for the Coons
HI Doug and Cheryl,
Your blog is so funny and interesting. I'm glad you are enjoying your time in China with Hudson.
I interviewed at the CHN Ripon Clinic yesterday. Sound like a great place to work. I will wait to see if I hear about a second interview there.
God Bless,
~Carmen Zacharias
Post a Comment